We love native Australian ingredients as much as we love Asian food. So combining the two in this chicken and lemon myrtle won ton noodle soup was always going to be a winner for this family.
When first stumbled across the idea for these at Sydney’s Blak Market. And so much did Raffles obsess over the delicious dumplings with a bush tucker twist that he begged me to try my hand at making something similar. As his devoted personal slave, I got my origami on and did just that… though, if I’m being completely honest, my capitulation had far less to with parental devotion and more to do with a desire for the nagging to stop.
While the end result isn’t an exact match, we love our fluffy pillows of fragrant goodness and our delicious and nutritious version of chicken and lemon myrtle won ton noodle soup has been on high rotation at Casa Eats World ever since.
Recipe: Chicken and Lemon Myrtle Won Ton Noodle Soup
- For the wontons:
- 250g free range organic chicken mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 finely chopped lemon myrtle leaves.
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 24 wonton wrappers
- For the broth:
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp finely sliced ginger
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 250 gm fresh egg noodles
- 1 bunch of bok choy chopped
- To serve:
- Chilli oil
- In a bowl mix together chicken mince, garlic cloves, lemon myrtle leaves, grated ginger, white pepper and sesame oil.
- Place a wonton wrapper on a clean surface with one teaspoon of chicken mix in centre.
- Brush edges with water and fold wonton over to enclose filling and form a rectangle.
- Press edges together.
- Lift top corners of rectangle up together and press to join (see image below)
- Repeat using remaining wrappers and chicken mixture.
- In a large saucepan bring stock, water, soy sauce and ginger to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and egg noodles and wontons, cooking for three to four minutes.
- Add bok choy and cook for around half a minute until wilted.
- Serve with a drizzle of chilli oil, to taste.
© 2021 copyright www.boyeatsworld.com.au