With a few weeks break between our adventures; it is time for me to catch up on writing about our travels while the kids catch up on a little Netflix and some journeying of the imaginary kind. And where better to start their holiday from holidaying than in the crystalline splendour of the Heartestone Troll Market?
No, I haven’t been gargling bong water, the Troll Market is the subterranean setting for much of the action in DreamWorks Trollhunters, a new Netflix series by the amazing Guillermo del Toro, the cinematic clever clogs responsible for another of Raffles and Sugrapuff’s favourite otherworldly animations, The Book of Life.
DreamWorks Trollhunters is no dumbed down animation for kids. It offers ambitious, complex storytelling and stunning visuals that really raise the bar for animated television.
Based on the book of the same name, the series stars an ensemble cast of kooky creatures including the titular trolls, razor-toothed goblins, gnomes, pixies and various other fantastical creatures along with Jim, an ordinary school kid who uncovers an extraordinary amulet that transforms him into the first human Trollhunter in history. As armoured defender of the trolls, Jim must set out on a quest to save two worlds. As you do.
But before I send my kids down the rabbit hole into this mystical and monstrous world, I need to prepare them. I mean, with twenty-six episodes beckoning, they’re going to need plenty of snacks to binge on while they binge watch the show.
Inspired by the glistening orange crystals of the Troll Market, I’ve created them a tempting rocky chocolate treat, studded with glittering honeycomb crystals and translucent candied orange, to ensure their first viewing of Trollhunters is a little more tasty!
- 150g dark chocolate
- 50g milk chocolate
- 1 tbs. golden syrup
- 100g white mini or regular marshmallows
- 50g scotch finger biscuits
- 3 Crunchie bars
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Rinse and peel the oranges.
- Cut the peel into small strips and add to saucepan cooking on a low heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until sugar syrup is thickened and skin is translucent.
- Remove from heat and spread individual pieces on baking paper then set aside to cool.
- Break up the biscuits into small pieces.
- Break up the Crunchie bars into small chunks.
- Melt the chocolate and golden syrup together in a bowl in 30 second bursts in the microwave, stirring between bursts until you have a smooth glossy mixture.
- Add the biscuits, marshmallows, Crunchie and candied orange (reserving handful) and mix thoroughly.
- Place the mixture in a lined baking tray and top with an extra smattering of marshmallow and Crunchie chunks.
- Place in the fridge to cool for a few hours then serve to your hungry Trollhunters.
Disclosure: As a member of the Netflix #StreamTeam we received a years subscription to Netflix, and while I will be posting regular updates about the service, and the tasty treats we scoff while we’re watching it, all opinions expressed will be our own.