Raffles chats with yTravelBlog’s Kalyra Makepeace

ytravel blog Kalyra, Savannah, Caz & Craig Makepeace - photo courtesy ytraveblog.com
Raffles has interviewed his fair share of chefs, stars and CEO’s, but his interview with fellow 8-year old, Kalyra Makepeace, of yTravelBlog might just be one of his favourites so far.

yTravelBlog is one the world’s most popular travel blogs, thanks to the dedication, passion and accessible nature of its creators, Caz & Craig Makepeace. Sharing their extensive knowledge as they travel Australia, and the world, with their daughters Kalyra and Savannah, has made their blog an essential resource for families who love to travel.

Raffles became a fan when he followed the Makepeace’s 18-month adventure around Australia. He felt a particular connection with Kalyra, a surfing, snake-handling, sunny child who, like him, appears not to be afraid to try anything.

Sensing in Kalyra a kindred spirit, Raffles asked if he could interview her about her travelling life and her next adventure as she and her family get set to jet off on another epic journey around America. And what better way to connect with a junior digital nomad than via the magic of the Internet?

Raffles & Kalyra connect via Skype

So it’s on to Skype and over to our intrepid eight-year olds, Raffles and Kalyra…

My mum and I are big fans of your family’s website, YTravelBlog, which I think is epic. I love seeing all the places you go and the things you do together. I especially liked following your big trip around Australia. It looked really, really awesome. Where were your favourite places on the trip?
Broome because you get to ride camels and swim at the beach and it’s always warm. Melbourne because I loved having high tea at a fancy hotel and riding on a bike through the city streets. Darwin because it has pretty sunsets and a really cool free waterslide park where I had my 7th birthday.
I’ve never been to Broome but camel rides ARE totally awesome. I rode one on Bondi Beach and in Muscat in Oman.

Kalyra and family riding camels at Uluru - photo courtesy of Ytravelblog.com

How do you do your schoolwork when you travel?
My Mum and I usually only do my schoolwork for an hour or so. My school sends the lessons and Mum helps teach it to me. Then we can go out and explore. Sometimes it can get a little complicated, but we eventually get it done.
Awesome. I always learn the best things exploring.

Do you miss hanging out with other kids at regular school?
Not really. I usually make new friends so quickly. And I’d rather keep on making new friends while were traveling than go to a school and make friends.

I make lots of new friends on my travels but I don’t like saying goodbye. Do you find it hard to leave the new friends you make behind when you’re travelling?
Most of the time, yes. It is really sad having to leave my friends. But I get over it.
I think there are always new friends waiting to be made.

How do you stay in touch with them?
By doing skype, face time or phone.

You’re learning to surf, which is something I really, really, want to do. Is it very hard?
Well, it’s not that hard really. You get used to it after a while and I practise a lot. I love it. It’s so much fun and I think you should give it a go.
I’m definitely going to start this summer.

ytravelblog Kalyra. Surfing at Burleigh Heads - Photo courtesy ytraveblog.com

Your little sister is about the same age as my little sister. Mine is loads of fun to travel with, and we mostly get along, but sometimes we get on each other’s nerves because we want to do different things. Then we argue, which kind of makes my mum and dad go a bit crazy. How do you manage to not argue with your little sister when you’re travelling together for such a long time?
We are actually are kind of like that. But then we just get too distracted with fun traveling, so we eventually stop.
Yeah, us too. I guess we’re pretty lucky to have our little sisters to keep us company on our travels. Mine is so funny. She cracks me up.

What is the weirdest thing that’s you’ve had to do on your travels?
Visiting the MONA Museum in Hobart was pretty weird. Especially the room that had a poo machine that copies the human digestive system. It sure was stinky, my mum nearly vomited.
What? I can’t believe there’s a place in Tassie with a poo machine. Does it actually make poo?
No, it just stunk.
That’s epic. I have to see it!

I have my own bucket list of places I most want to go like Cambodia and Iceland. Where in the world would you most like to go to?
I’d really like to go to Africa, China and Indonesia.
My mum just went to Africa without me. No fair! But China and Indonesia are really cool. You will love them.

When we’re planning our trips my sister and I help mum and make loads of suggestions so we get to do the things we want to do. How involved do you get in planning your family trips?
My sister and I like to help plan where we are going to go next, and help choose an RV.

You’re heading off to America with your family soon. What are you looking forward to the most?
Going to see New York and going to Disney World.

What are you most looking forward to in New York?
The Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty and shopping.
It would be the food for me. The China Town there looks awesome.

What’s the absolute best thing about travelling with your family?
I get to see lots of new places, learning new things and have lots of fun along the way.
I agree, plus I really like hanging out with my family more.

ytravelblog Kalyra and Craig Makepeace snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef - Pic courtesy YtravelBlog

I see you sometimes on your mum’s Snapchat, you’re pretty funny. Do you like making Snapchat stories?
I do like it.
I do too. So much that mum had to change her password so I can’t get into her phone.

Thanks for being so cool and answering my questions, Kalyra. Next time you’re in Sydney I’d love to show you around some of my favourite places… to eat and explore.

You can follow the fearless Kalyra and her intrepid family on their travel adventures at http://www.ytravelblog.com and via social media on InstagramFacebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and the kids’ favourite social channel,  Snapchat.

29 Comments on Raffles chats with yTravelBlog’s Kalyra Makepeace

1. Maxabella
    September 13, 2016 at 9:24 am (8 months ago)

That was just adorable – my two fave travelling kids together at last. Well done Raff and Kalyra.

September 17, 2016 at 2:04 pm (7 months ago)

Thanks Maxabella. Raffles xx

2. Renee Wilson
    September 13, 2016 at 11:04 am (8 months ago)

Oh my God!! This is ridiculously cute!!!! What clever little kids they are. So wise and worldly. Well done guys. #teamIBOT

September 16, 2016 at 7:50 am (7 months ago)

They are wise beyond their years. x

3. Mandy @ Barbie Bieber and Beyond
    September 13, 2016 at 4:15 pm (8 months ago)

What a gorgeous chat! These kids have the best lifestyle and when they are grown they will look back on all the amazing adventures their parents were able to give them, how lucky are they!

September 16, 2016 at 7:50 am (7 months ago)

I hope they do. They’re both living lives I could never imagine when I was a child x

4. Kathy
    September 13, 2016 at 8:05 pm (8 months ago)

Great chat – so cute – loved the Poo machine!. Seriously these two blondies belong together – Raffs better watch our for Craig being the protective Dad as I see romance in their future!

September 16, 2016 at 7:51 am (7 months ago)

Bwahahaha! I think he has a while before he has to start worrying! 😉

5. Caz Makepeace
    September 13, 2016 at 8:32 pm (8 months ago)

This was such a gorgeous experience. I love how shy Kalyra was but as soon as the interview finished she raced onto the computer to see Raff’s videos and said how awesome they are.

It’s so wonderful for both of them to connect with someone so similar!! Thanks for involving us. You’re awesome Raff – you’re such a natural.

September 17, 2016 at 2:05 pm (7 months ago)

Thanks Caz, Kalyra is awesome to. Raffles xx

6. Kate
    September 13, 2016 at 8:41 pm (8 months ago)
  7. Cristin
    September 14, 2016 at 9:44 am (8 months ago)

I love how much these two have in common! How awesome to see travel from their perspective. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Raffles and Kalyra!

September 17, 2016 at 2:06 pm (7 months ago)

Thanks Cristin, it was fun to interview Kalyra. Raffles xx

8. Kirsty @ My Home Truths
    September 14, 2016 at 10:21 am (8 months ago)

This just reiterated for me how important it is to give our kids the gift of travel, even if it seems to hard or difficult to manage. These two are the best case yet for why travelling when you are young is such a valuable gift x

September 16, 2016 at 7:49 am (7 months ago)

They’re living proof of how much travel teaches you. x

September 16, 2016 at 7:48 am (7 months ago)

Thank Christine. They were pretty cute x

9. Hugzillablog
    September 14, 2016 at 4:51 pm (8 months ago)

Oh, this is adorable!! I have to say, I’ve heard great things about MONA in Tassie and have it on my list but even more now that I know that it has a poo machine. LOL!

September 16, 2016 at 7:48 am (7 months ago)

I want to see that poo machine too!

September 17, 2016 at 2:07 pm (7 months ago)

Glad you enjoyed it becasue It was so fun to do. Raffles xx

10. Julie
    September 17, 2016 at 9:00 am (7 months ago)

They would make a dynamic duo as roving reporters. Such a cute interview and it must be nice for them to connect with someone living a similar life.

September 17, 2016 at 2:07 pm (7 months ago)

Haha. can you imagine? 🙂

11. Veggie Mama
    September 17, 2016 at 11:54 am (7 months ago)

This would have to be the cutest thing! i’ve often wondered if travelling kids fight too haha

September 17, 2016 at 2:09 pm (7 months ago)

Short answer: YES! 😉

September 18, 2016 at 4:43 pm (7 months ago)

Aww they’re super cute together and they have a shared experience of being kids that blog that have blogger parents too! I’m not even jealous that he seems to have found himself a new girlfriend too haha 😉

September 18, 2016 at 5:27 pm (7 months ago)

Hehe. You’ll always be his number one girlfriend xx

13. Grace
    September 19, 2016 at 9:44 pm (7 months ago)

Great interview, Raffs! I’ve been to the poo machine at MONA. It really is disgusting! Not quite sure why it’s considered art…